Saturday, November 15, 2008

Knees up!

Well, i've been in Queenstown resting up for a few days now in the hope that my knee injury would recover. I went to the physio yesterday, i've picked up some tendon damage to the Patellar Tendon in both knees which is apparently a classic over-use injury for cycling & basketball. Anyway, the upshot is that walking around is fine (although steps are a little painful) but turning my legs on the cranks of a bike even with no load sends sharp pains through my knees. Adding weight and hills would surely induce man tears ;-) The physio tells me there's no permanent damage and advises ice, rest and strong drugs (double dose of Voltaren 25's twice a day) but can't really give me a timeline on full recovery. Anyway, I went for a short flat ride this morning after a few days rest and it was agony. So, what to do ?

Neither Kym or I are keen to hang out in Queenstown any more, it's nice but chocked full of tourists. While it's bitterly disappointing for both of us i've decided to throw in the cycling and hire a car. Kym is keen to keep riding some of the way but i'll be acting as support crew and spending some time investigating other cool things (and South Island micro-breweries ;-) while he's on the road. I am hoping to get back in the saddle maybe in a weeks time for some cruising around the top of South Island so watch this space.

For anyone else contemplating a big cycle tour, the lesson i've learnt from this is to ensure you do plenty of training fully loaded as well as unloaded (including food & water as well as kit - I was carrying 6 litres of water on the day the knees gave in). Also, make sure to do multi-day training trips as pulling out a big day one day and then resting is quite different to 4 in a row. Anyway, easy to be wise after the event I guess !

One more thing, I have to give a mention to Kym who has been a top drawer travelling companion and very understanding of my predicament. Sorry mate for stuffing the trip up! Also, thanks to everyone who has emailed me with support.

PS : Kym says I haven't stuffed up the trip if I carry half his weight in the car.

PPS : Just for the record, there have been no man tears to date (although I came close when trying to find a hire car out of Queenstown, 20 phone calls and 2 hours :-( For those of you still to place a bet bear in mind I will now be driving and Kym will be attempting the hills of Crown Pass & Haast Pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment