Sunday, November 16, 2008

Day 9 - A beer at the Cardrona Hotel

After my epic journey over the Crown Summit, I met up with Pete at the Cardrona Pub. A sweet little pub and a welcome break from the head wind that suddenly appeared once I reached the summit. Dang, I hate the wind. There is just no justice what so ever in having peddled all the way up the Crown Saddle and then having to peddle on the way down too because the wind is so strong that if I didn't peddle I'd stop. Add to this a bit of rain and you've got a recipe for beer. A nice cold beer at the Cardrona Pub.

After our beer, we walked outside where it was starting to seriously rain. Pete hops in his nice little car, gives me a toot-toot on the horn and then drives off towards Wanaka, leaving me to ride an hour to Wanaka in the rain and wind. Actually, to be fair, Pete did offer to give me a lift but apparently I said no.

It's funny how things like cycling in the rain are much more fun when you can share the pain with someone else. Just to reasure all you people who voted for me in "The Poll" I did not cry - It was just raining on my face... and shoes... and pants. But no man tears.

But to be fair, Pete had sorted us out with an awesome place to stay in Wanaka so when I arrived we didn't have to ride around cold and wet trying to find a place to sleep. Pete had arranged it all... all I had to do was squeeze out my socks and have a nice hot shower.



Hopefully the rain will clear a little to allow me to continue cycling tomorrow.


Stats:
  • Start - Queenstown

  • Finish - Wanaka

  • Distance - 77km

  • Time - 5:10:03

  • Max Height - 1080m

1 comment:

  1. If I'd known there was an option to drive around and act as support crew and book nice hotels and generally sit around and my arse drinking beer I would have volunteered in an instant!

    (sorry Pete, I'm sure it's killing you in more ways than one)

    ReplyDelete