Friday, November 28, 2008

Day 21 - End of Days (cycling days that is)

This is our last day of cycling for this trip (but I'll give a complete wrap up of the trip in a post once I get home).

The ride today was back to Nelson. Instead of going the big highway we decided to go through the old highway, which not as many people travel. It's called the Upper Moutere Highway and it actually makes a very beautiful ride. Lots of farmland, rolling hills, hop plantations and most importantly the oldest pub in NZ; The Upper Moutere Inn.

I'm sure Pete will write about it, he got all emotional when he saw hand pumps. Actually I thought I was going to win the Man-Tear challenge right there. Speaking of the Man-Tear poll, you've only got a day or so to vote, so get your votes in. If you know anything about justice and been following the blog then you know who to vote for ;-).

Anyway, back to the ride. We stopped off at Moutere Inn and had a couple of pints and a ploughmans lunch before continuing the cycle (which incidentally lead us to another brewer). I think Pete may have turned me into some kind of beer monster. I swear I've had more beer on this trip than in the previous year. :-)



But seriously, if you are thinking of cycling up this way consider the Upper Moutere Highway as a way of getting to/fro Nelson, it's really nice.



So we are back in Nelson now. We have packed our bikes and are ready for our flights tomorrow. It's sad the cycling has come to the end... but it's been fantastic. One last thing, it was great on our last day that Pete's knee was back in action (well lubricated with beer) and we were able to punch out a semi-respectable 92km.

Stats:
  • Distance: 92.26km
  • Duration: 4hrs 40 mins
  • Breweries Visited: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment